Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Potty Whisperer

Oh yeah, it's me.  So two weeks ago today I embarked on the 3 day potty train plan.  Don't count that first day and I can count her accidents on one hand.  That's right FIVE!  Two that next day on Wednesday, two the following Sunday, 1 a week later on Thursday and that my friends has been it.  The girl is doing phenomenal!  She even reached a huge achievement finally landing a deuce at school.  That has been the only major trial in this whole process.  She doesn't like to poop on the potty.  However, she also will not go in her underwear.  So we often do this up down dance forever until she finally goes.  Today was not so bad though it was like 5 minutes of up/down.  Maybe we are on our way.  The more often she goes, the more comfortable she will get.  I'm hopeful anyways, I had the same darn issues with both boys and deserve an easier go. ;)

I am so proud of my little girl and heck I'm proud of me too. :) And the rest of the family and caregivers.  They've been wonderful through all this.  Miss Jill even made her an adorable potty book.  It's so darn cute. 

Sometimes however when we've gone to pee for the fourth time in an hour I do think diapers were certainly easier and more convenient.  However, the closer she gets to her two year old birthday the more attitude she seems to give and the more intense of a tantrum she throws.  I guess I'd rather have the fight now, rather than later and now it hasn't been much of a fight. As for saving money?  I think I bought months worth of cost of diapers in new underwear, at least that in new potty seats, the laundry for a while was much more often. 

And did I also mention that she has been staying dry at night and for naps too?  I'm in freaking shock over here.  I don't remember the last time she peed the bed though I know it was in the last week, but not since the weekend for sure. Amazing!

So I said I'd be singing this lady's praises if it worked I must give credit out there.  3 Day Potty Training There is the link for anyone who is interested.  I guess Ashley was just ready.  I still know there could be accidents here or there but for now I'm calling her potty trained.  We take her out and about and have no problem.  We do have to bring her little purple potty seat with us but I guess I'll deal with that.  Somehow I'm thinking diapers may just be a bit more sanitary than putting our potty ring on all these toilet seats.  But I'm not going back there, I think the diaper stage in my life is finally over.  Happy/Sad.  ;)

9 comments:

Sheila said...

This is awesome! Does the book tell you how to handle special needs kids?

ellen :) said...

Dawn, God bless you! That is awesome! :) I fought for YEARS to finalize things with Luke and now we are embarking on getting a wheeling SN toilet seat for Sammy since he has nights that he is dry too and can go on command....we'll see how this goes..obviously I don't think it will ever be 100% since he can't verbalize that he has to go, but just to give him some more normalcy we are attempting it...

Julie said...

I can vouch that the girl has been totally awesome with the potty training. The first day away from home, it was potty almost every 5 minutes, so you wonder, who is trained? But she is going longer and longer between requests. Little Miss clean was ready and considering she isn't two years old yet .. WTG Papesh family!

Dawn said...

Sheila - It has a little section in it about special needs. She says if they can communicate to you than they can train.

Ellen - Thank you! I think that's awesome you're getting Sammy a special toilet seat. Good for him!

Julie - Yeah, and on those early days I was pumping her full of drinks. I know she can hold it because she does for our trips to Ann Arbor but even tonight at The Stable we had to check out their potty. It was embarrassing having to go in the employee bathroom but at least they let her go versus having an accident. Hopefully she'll get better about her frequency. Odd as she holds it all night too now.

Amy said...

This is impressive--3 days! WOW! Still hard to believe. Like Ellen, we do the best we can with it. Emma can tell me that she needs to go most of the time. We just cut it close since Mommy has to carry her to and put her on the toilet. Mommy is too slow sometimes. But, like Ellen said, it give Emma some since of normalcy.

Dawn said...

Amy - Great job with Emma. I'm sure it's got to be tough as the kids grow and do get heavy. Sad thing with this whole thing is Ashley is doing so awesome but Austin still has his struggles in this area and this week was especially rough for him. At least he has a good excuse for his struggles.

Kiera said...

Wow! Congratulations! Ashley is one impressive little girl! I love reading success stories!

I am willing to call Little Dude day-time toilet trained, but we have not even tried night yet. I am so impressed with Ashley!

Dawn said...

Kiera - Austin is 7 and still not night trained or even close. The doctors said if he's never been dry through the then don't sweat it. But if it was a sudden start of night wetting then we'd have an issue. Supposedly he will just outgrow it someday and it will be sudden. ;) I'm waiting for the day.

Jill said...

She is a trooper.