Last night the coworkers and I trudged out to the smoky Bingo Hall for our annual fun filled evening and supported our wonderful Knights of Columbus. Joe works these bingos sometimes and had told me all about this new pull-tab game called Bingo balls. Let's just say that he said "easy $150" and I way over spent and didn't even get a single ball pulled on my "balls" card. Cool thing with this game is that it's in addition to the regular game and you only have to get 3 matches and instead of yelling "Bingo" you yell "BALLS!!!" Yes, it's great and the men selling the "Bingo balls" I'm sure enjoyed the heckling, "hey sell me some of your balls." Yes we are crazy.
We're not really pro Bingo people and one lady was hooting "them group really be loud" in an annoyed kind of voice so we tried to tone it down but it's fun darn it.
The crowd is about 99% over 60 years old smoking crankpots and the other 1% weird men & us. ;) At one point for a $100 game I was one ball away forever from winning. Blasted G48! One weird man throughout the night would yell out loud whatever ball he wanted to be called and low and behold he finally yells BINGO on this $100 game that I was hoping to win. Turns out it was a bad Bingo, guess what ball he mistakingly had marked at some point? G48...hehe. Isn't that odd? Poor guy. Some other man during another game excitedly yells "BALLS!" in the middle of game where they weren't playing Bingo Balls. Then the poor Bingo caller a couple times forgot to put the balls on the tv screen and people were screaming. During the final jackpot game people play 60 cards instead of their regular 50 and then start hollering that they're calling too fast!!! Good lord I thought the place was going to riot! Gosh it was exciting!
It's amazing how serious people take this. The lucky charms, bingo paraphenalia, people playing dozens of cards and not even marking them, talking on their cell phones and knowing they've bingo'd. It's quite the site. Besides the terrible smoke it's really a great time and I could see how people could get hooked on it. And except for the Bingo Balls game, it's a fairly economical evening.
Lisa & Amy were the lucky winners this year both winning $25 each.
Here are a few terrible pics of us, the group pics were taken after the bingo was over. We had to make it look like we were marking madly with our bingo dobbers. Like my crazy hair and crooked glasses? And I don't know how Jill is the only one with demon eyes?? Nice. You should have seen that place clear out! I've never seen a crowd clearing like it! If you have not made it to a real bingo you have to go, it is quite the life experience.